Friday 1 March 2013

Early Makes

Old Bag
It's interesting to look back at some early makes, to see how I've 'grown' from a design perspective. When I first began crafting in textiles, it really was an exercise in self discovery. Just what was I capable of making, with the limited knowledge and skills I had at the time.




I was exploring a new media, which was to lead me into all sorts of unexplored territory, before I finally settled on the collectable cats I make today!





American Tourist





I sourced my fabrics from the charity shops on my doorstep, as they were cheap and easily accessible - plus it was nice to feel I was giving something back.





'T' shirts were an interesting buy, as they came in a variety of flesh colours and inspired my early makes of little characters. I had the most enormous fun making these!



Fi Fi


I really learned a lot of new needle skills making these little people. I worked entirely by hand, as the projects were too small to use a sewing machine on, especially an electric one.






The fabric had to be eased through the fingers gently and my stitching had to be tiny - there was little room for mistakes, or it would stand out like a sore thumb!



Onion Seller




I gradually developed an eye for design, texture and colour; the skills I would need to compete in my chosen market.


Although I loved making these small characters, they were clearly not going to be viable as a product to market; it took me all day to make just one figure and who would be prepared to pay the £20 at least I would want?


It was back to the drawing board!




Lolita
But this little project had served a purpose; it gave me an invaluable training and whetted my appetite.


With my new skills sharpened and enthusiasm bubbling, I felt ready to come up with a design I could market.


My motto has always been 'Keep it Simple'. That has remained my mantra when designing my collectable cats.


I base my patterns on simple shapes that are easy to assemble and recreate.





Trivial Travels Cat


All that style evolution has finally led to this little guy - the latest in my range of Trivial Travels Cats.


I'm really enjoying making these heavily appliqued cats.


I always strengthen my appliqued fabrics with some fusible interfacing. It gives structure and stops a lot of fraying - although I like to see the odd fibre here and there, as it adds interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment